Saturday, January 14, 2012

One Word 2012

It has been a while since New Year Resolutions changed meaning for me, growing cold, buried deeply right next to life's "Bucket List".

Oh it's not that I haven't given them a voice in the past, those handful of things that I had hoped for past years, or wanted to do in the eventual future...  I just can't recall what they were, since they have completely lost their importance to me.

When I first heard of it, the idea appealed to me.  Tossing aside the New Year Resolution and choosing instead one theme, one word to focus on throughout the year, either something we pray for more of, something we're weak at and want to focus on improving... or perhaps something chosen for entirely different reasons.

My word for 2011 was Outrun.  It meant so many different things, on so many different levels, and I much enjoyed the process of not only choosing the word (and just ONE word), but of living it out.



The time came to decide whether or not I would choose a word for 2012.  I found myself reflecting seriously on it as 2011 ended in a season of upheaval and 2012 was ushered in with continued determination to outrun the enemy's increased pursuit, and the one and only word that came to mind through all the reflections was a word that I believe may very well be my last "One Word" of the year.

It's a word that will never change or lose meaning, regardless of where my life leads or what the years ahead hold.



This year is...  His.


Every year is His, since I am His.  Always.

The plans for me are His.

It is His daily bread that is sufficient.

My life is in His hands.

It is through His death that I will live.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me -- my life is completely His.

For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.  If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord.  So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord -- we are His.

The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand -- those who are His.

When I am hard pressed on every side, but not crushed --  the strength that protects me is His
Perplexed, but not in despair -- my mind is focused on His word
Persecuted, but not abandoned --  I am His beloved
Struck down, but not destroyed --  I find shelter in His presence


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing -- because I am His.


Therefore, I will not lose heart...  though outwardly I am wasting away, yet inwardly I am being renewed day by day.  For my light and momentary troubles are achieving for me an eternal glory that far outweighs everything...  so I fix my eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal...  my days, my years, my heart, my life, my love, my everything... all and only His.